St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner next week. As we’re discussing what good writing looks like and the features of a well-crafted, great grade three sentence as we move into writing more paragraphs, I had my students reflect on one wish that they would hope could be granted after I modeled my “I wish…” clover. Each student wrote their wish (which had to include a “because phrase”) on a clover for our bulletin board display.
I was absolutely blown away by some of the responses. Many students reflected on some global issues and write a wish that would impact many around the globe. Here are some examples:
- I wish that there could be a way to cure bad cases of cancer because I know that some people have it and when I put myself in their shoes it would not feel good at all.
~great class discussion about empathy!
- I wish that every kid never got to be bullied because kids do not have to be mean in the world at all.
- I wish that every child in the world had a home because there are kids that don’t have a home in the world.
- I wish that the war would end because of all the people who went to war and died.
- I wish everyone had one person to love because everyone needs someone to love.
These wishes (along with the rest of them!) melted my heart. I truly have some amazing children in my class who I am blessed to teach!
How would you complete the sentence “I wish…”?